Mon, 15 September 2014
Updates, crowdfunding, freemium games, and fear.
The State of our Lives
Ilan and Justin update you -- the listener -- on the latest and greatest in what we’ve been up to. FanExpo! Live theatre! Mawwiage!
How to Fund your Passion
What hath Crowdfunding wrought? Kickstarted games, comics, movies and games, like Catthulhu, Hillfolk, and Code Monkey Saved World. Expectations, reality, and YOU!
Debt of a Thousand Clicks
Freemium, micropayment-driven gaming models. What’s the difference between so-called “pay-to-win” and the old days of buying physical boosters, expansions and additional minis?
Muppets vs. Cancer
Make Justin face his fear. Fund his dreaded Farscape binge and help blast cancer out of the sky.
Tue, 1 January 2013
We have our Rush t-shirts and a new year has started. It's time to reconnect with you, our treasured listeners, and just barely fail to talk in-depth about the amazing comic "Saga". We will, however, cover some games, a visit from a dear friend, and a movie or two.
1. (1:00) Star Wars Edge of Empire RPG
- It's Firefly and Futurama, with Funny Dice (dice app)
- Ilan's specious comparisons to FATE and Cortex
- Compared to Star Wars Saga Edition?
- Fantasy Flight will be releasing the game in a manner similar to their 40k system
- Notes on the "Edge of the Empire" setting
2. (11:20) Jerome Comeau, King of Tokyo
- Welcome to Toronto, Jerome Comeau!
- Sauced: since we last podcasted, they began and ended, and put out as many episodes as we ever did. Ever!
- Poutineries in Toronto: Smoke's and Poutini's. Ilan's Daiya Cheesemongering.
- How King of Tokyo works - rules, and dice.
3. (17:00) Other two-player games
- Spot It
- Kahuna ("A Full Web")
- Burger Joint
4. (20:00) Sentinels of the Multiverse
- That's what those crackling noises were, Ilan unpacking it.
- All about Sentinels of the Multiverse, how it works.
- That it's the Kickstartered second edition.
- As a single-player game.
5. (23:50) HALO 4
- Co-op gameplay, playing online.
- Thinking back on ODST, Reach.
6. (26:00) Brief return to Sentinels of the Multiverse
- Character design
- Comparison to Fantasy Flight's "Death Angel"
7. (27:25) Movies: Argo, Kirby
- Argo. "Made in Canada", but "you have to change history". Alan Arkin and John Goodman.
- Jack Kirby's storyboards. And Devil Dinosaur.
- "Cashing in on the Sci-fi craze."
- Did it succeed in nuance and balance? Are any historical movies "true"?
8. (35:00) Skyfall, and Ken and Robin
- Skyfall. What's the authoritative James Bond?
- Plug for "Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff"
- Did Skyfall have the things you need to have a James Bond movie?
- Character of "Eve" - a female character in a James Bond movie
9. (39:00) Quick Saga Chat, with a promise of more
- We'll do Saga next episode in depth.
- Worth a reread and good for sharing, at Image Starter Pricing ($10)
- Pricing on trades!
- Incal and Lost riding a dinosaur through rocket-ship forest; Esperanto-speaking Jedi druids versus winged laser-imperialists, with robot mercenaries and lying cats. All the things are in the book.
- If you don't like it "I will not actually punch you."
- We got a new microphone (Blue Yeti)
- Canadian law on Wendigos
10. (44:00) Signoff, and things to look forward in the future:
- AT SOME POINT FanExpo "lost episode", perhaps edit back together at some point.
- Disney purchase of Lucasfilm in more depth
Sat, 25 August 2012
With Dark Knight about to open (at the time) we contemplate the comic book movie explosion. So many explosions. Then we talk about Ready Player One, and Lords of Waterdeep. And other stuff. An explosion of other stuff! Thankfully, nobody was hurt in the explosions.
1. Mighty Marvel Movies Precap and Recap
2. The Avengers Recap
3. New Marvel Movie Announcements
4. Boards of Waterdeep!
5. The Book Zone!
Tue, 10 July 2012
SYNOPSIS: 1812-The Invasion of Canada, John Carter of Mars, S4UC3D, and "Spring Preview".
We got our rewrites in from J. Michael Straczynski and George R.R. Martin, and Adi Granov finished the art, so we're ready to go!
And in true news, Ilan and Justin have just spent the last few months demonstrating that "work-life balance" is something that happens to other people. In March, we recorded a shockingly timely segment about a new light wargame, 1812 - the Invasion of Canada, and oh gee right about now are the War of 1812 celebrations/commemorations. Good job, guys!
About 7 minutes in, we also have... oh dear. A timely review of John Carter of Mars, which more or less came and went and - though commercially successful - didn't make much of a cultural impact. But it was better than Attack of the Clones.
Around twelve minutes in, we talk about how we hadn't had a chance to play Mass Effect 3. Or other video games. Update: Ilan had a chance to play Mass Effect 3. But Justin still hasn't.
It's thirteen minutes when we welcome the (now 19-episode-old!) S4UC3D podcast, starring SATBG superfriend Jerome Comeau, and their mockery of us is well-earned. Haw haw, you guys.
Then it's fourteen minutes, and we talk comics. Ilan talks about Remender, and Justin talks about Swamp Thing, and Alan Moore, and then Ilan gets all high and mighty about how The Ultimates have higher stakes than "mainstream Marvel" ever can.
Around twenty-one minutes in, we pontificate about the comic-book-buyer's dilemma. Wait for reviews? Preorder, rain-or-shine?
Twenty-four minutes in we *ANTICIPATE* the new (spring!) TV season, including the new (third!) season of Community. Yep. And wave our hands about Fringe, and Breaking Bad, and stuff.
Twenty-eight minutes: Wrestling, movies, G.I. Joe. And then we worry about whether the Avengers was gonna be good and stuff. And we cap it off by talking about Zahn and Thrawn.
You can figure this out. Just careful that nobody gets hurt!
Sat, 10 December 2011
We're just a little wintry! We're still good! We're still good. Sad Trombone.
We're back after a frenzied summer and a busy school semester.
News, movies and trailers:
Non-TIFF movies over the Summer!
Digression: Biff, Bam, Pop! The Illuminatus Trilogy!
Next time: on Tim Rice and Michael Bay!
Tue, 22 November 2011
Justin interviews author and RPG designer Matt Forbeck about his latest work. See below for links mentioned during the podcast.
Matt Forbeck's web site
The Brave New World Kickstarter
Sun, 31 July 2011
Episode 22: The Library and the Heap
- In which Ilan and Justin develop a pair of regular segments for the show.
Role Playing Games Continued!
Next time: Movies! Geek Rock videos!
Wed, 20 July 2011
Episode 21: On the Galactic Stage
- in which Ilan has a cold and we talk about live theatre and videogames.
Give us feedback about our Jim Interview - last episode!
Ilan and culture
Justin: Ghost Stories
Ashen Stars RPG (Stellar Nursery pre-release!)
Pixel knocks down so much stuff that we end the episode!
Sat, 30 April 2011
Justin talks with his gaming pal Jim "Zub" Zubkavich, mastermind of UDON studios and author of the new fantasy action comedy comic Skullkickers. "Like Army of Darkness with two Ashes." How is it made? What to expect? Why is the first trade so cheap? Answers within!
A life lesson, kids: beat the drum as much as possible. We are happy to be part of the shilling for this admittedly hugely fun book that we both really like.
And no-one was hurt.
Fri, 11 March 2011
Wow, it's been a long time since our last episode. Today we focus on comics, particularly the biggest comic event of the last little while: Jonathan Hickman's run on the Fantastic Four!
We touch on other topics related to media as well.
No superheroes were harmed in the podcasting of this episode.